Easter Treats that are poisonous for your dog

Easter is a time of celebration, with delicious treats and foods to eat, but be wary of these Easter dangers for your dog, which are highly poisonous and could prove to be fatal.

Always keep them at arms and paws length to protect your pup, meaning you can enjoy your Easter and put your mind at ease.

Easter dog group

Make sure your dog has a happy Easter and stays safe

Chocolate

Never let your dog eat chocolate, not even a small amount. There is so much chocolate around at Easter and it can seem impossible to keep easter eggs hidden, especially during an easter egg hunt but you must be vigilant and careful if your faithful friend is around.

Every year, vets see a rise in dogs being admitted after eating chocolate, so be wary and hide everything chocolate related from your dog.

Chocolate contains theobromine which is incredibly toxic to dogs, even small amounts can cause the following:

  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhoea
  • Tremors
  • Seizures and fits
  • Death in extreme cases

The Darker the chocolate, the more danger for your dog, as the theobromine is more potent and more poisonous to your pup.

Call your vet immediately if you think your dog has eaten chocolate. Do not wait. Call at once.

Cocoa powder is seven times more dangerous to your pet than dark chocolate. So, if your dog has consumed this, then you’ll need to speak to your vet straight away.

sad dog

Make sure that Easter is a time of celebration and not an emergency trip to the vets

Hot cross buns

The danger in Hot cross buns is dried fruit, such as currants, sultanas and raisins which are all incredibly toxic to dogs. You keep mince pies away from your dog and must do the same with hot cross buns.

Dogs can suffer vomiting and diarrhoea and in extreme cases- kidney failure if they eat even a small quantity of these dried fruits, so be aware as the smell can be appealing for your pups.

Be wary that symptoms can can sometimes be delayed for 24 to 72 hours but call at once if you think your dog has eaten sultanas or currents and keep a vigilant eye on your pet.

 

Signs of kidney failure in dogs include:

  • A decrease in urination
  • Your dog appearing thirsty and dehydrated
  • Lethargy and floppiness
  • Quick treatment is important. If your dog does eat any amount, contact your vet immediately.

 

Sweets

Sweets are popular at Easter especially for children in their Easter baskets. Keep an eye out that your dog doesn’t have any though. Lots of sweets contain a substance called Xylitol, which is an artificial sweetener.  This is extremely harmful to dogs and even a tiny amount can be toxic for them. Look out for lethargy, vomiting or seizures if your dog digests sweets and contact your vet straight away if you are worried your dog has consumed any.

 

dogs in basket

Keep your Easter baskets empty of treats and full of puppies instead!

Easter roast dinners

Delicious for us humans but fatty meat isn’t great for your dog and can be hard to digest. Try not to feed your pup from the table, meats that we eat can be too rich for their tummies. Clear it away swiftly too so they aren’t tempted to rain the bins for leftover meat!

Spring bulbs

Spring blooms at Easter are so gorgeous and everyone enjoys lovely flowers in a vase in the house or outside in the garden.

Make sure that you keep them well out of reach of your dog though, especially if they are diggers in the garden and like to chew and mouth everything or jump up at surfaces where you may have a vase of blooms.

This kind of behaviour is something that can be corrected with some good training with an expert.

dogs in meadow

Your dogs may enjoy running through the flowers but don’t let them eat any!

Daffodils

Beware that Daffodils- a springtime favourite are poisonous to dogs if they eat the bulbs or flowers or even if they drink water from a vase that has had daffodils in it!

Make sure your dog has plenty of freshwater down so they aren’t tempted to drink from vases or flower pots.

A dog that has eaten daffodils may be subject to fits, sickness and a bad stomach.

Tulips

Another Spring favourite is tulips. Tulips are highly poisonous for dogs and can  irritate your dogs tummy and gastrointestinal tract.

They can give your dog an upset stomach, make them vomit, and make them very sleepy, faint and wobbly. A dog that’s been poisoned by tulips might also have fits or seizures. Eating tulips can also lead to other much more serious conditions.

 

What should you do if you think your dog has eaten something it shouldn’t have

 

easter basket dog

Don’t wait if you think your dog has eaten something off-limits…

 

If you think your dog has been poisoned by anything, you must act quickly. Contact your vet as soon as your pet shows signs of being ill and don’t lose vital minutes. If you aren’t sure, make the call just to be sure, the sooner you act, the better.

Let the vet know what you think your dog may have eaten and keep any packaging if you still have it around.

Over Easter and at all times, keep chocolate, sweets and poisonous items up high. Remember, dogs are greedy and can sniff most things out with their incredible noses and sense of smell so be cautious at all times when it comes to these dangerous items.

 

Does your dog misbehave around food?

if your dog misbehaves around food and is hard to control, you may consider a training course with one of our Bark & Birch expert trainers. We offer Board and Train and 1:1 sessions. Visit our website to find out more...
Find Out More